During this 3 year period, I was stationed in Brunssum, the Netherlands. I was able to visit the boat each summer for a month, where I installed the firring strips and had the inside sprayed with 2 part polyurethane foam, and also installed the hatches and portlights. While stationed in the Netherlands, I made the teak dorade boxes, the companionway hatch and many grab handles that years later I fitted to the boat. I also used the time to research and buy many of the components that were necessary for the fitting out. This effort cannot be overstated. There is a great deal of time involved in going to boat shows, browsing through catalogs and ordering bits and pieces.
In the summer of 1996, I drilled at least a thousand holes in the frames, in order to anchor the firring strips (which would be used to anchor the interior cabinetry). Next, I hired a contractor to spray the inside with a 2-part polyurethane foam. After the foam had cured, then I trimmed the overspray.
I bought my hatches and portlights (Goiit, 23 in total) in 1993 and installed them in the summer of 1997.
In installed the hatches, portlights and transom door hardware.
By the way, in the photo above, you can see the highest point on the boat (the companionway) when I transported it to Kingston a few years later. The dodger, pushpit, pulpit etc were all way too high to go down the highway.
Another job that I completed in the summer was to epoxy maple strips in the main cabin. This was the first interior finishing.
In September 1998, after a province wide crane operators strike, I was able to get the hull moved to my new home in Kingston. I had to hire two police escorts and the boat hauling company supplied two tractor trailers – one for the hull and the second for the cradle/trailer, dodger and davits.